Divorce Mediation in Carlsbad by Neutral Facilitators
Helping clients reach equitable settlements in North County
In recent years, more than 55 percent of California marriages have ended in divorce. Approximately 90 percent of these dissolutions are settled with the help of a qualified, private mediator.
Since our founding in 1993, Silverman & Silverman, Attorneys at Law has relied on collaborative divorce methods, mediation or direct negotiations with opposing counsel to settle most of our cases. All of our lawyers have engaged in extensive mediation training, including extensive coursework at the Pepperdine University School of Law's renowned Strauss Institute for Dispute Resolution in Malibu. We act as neutral mediators to facilitate an equitable divorce settlement between you and your spouse.
California laws mandate mediation in some divorce disputes
California Family Code § 3170—3173 mandates that California courts set most cases involving child custody or visitation for mediation. If domestic violence is alleged, the court is authorized to take action to resolve the matter without forcing the victim to attend sessions with the abuser. Otherwise, all petitioners for custody or visitation rights — including biological parents, adoptive parents, stepparents and grandparents — must participate in mediation or waive their rights to the settlement reached by the other parties.
Benefits of divorce mediation
Our divorce attorneys encourage separating couples to engage in mediation because of the many advantages the process offers, including:
- Reducing costs — Mediation typically costs less than litigation.
- Expediting the process — You are likely to finalize your divorce sooner through the mediation process than if you have to wait for a judge to set your case on the docket.
- Limiting stress — The negotiating table is less formal and less intimidating than the courtroom.
- Putting control in your hands — Mediation puts decisions in your hands instead of in the judge's.
- Promoting cooperation between parents — Parents begin the process of cooperation that is essential to raising well-adapted, happy children after divorce.
- Creating neutrality — The mediator is a neutral party who guides parents toward an agreement that is in the best interest of the children and respects the father's and mother's rights.
Retaining our law firm as your divorce mediator
When you retain our law firm as the mediator in your divorce, we do not represent you or your spouse. Instead, we serve as a neutral facilitator who helps you find common grounds and reach agreements about the terms of your divorce. During the session, we meet with both parties — and their lawyers if they choose to be represented — with the goal of reaching a settlement that is fair and acceptable to both of you.
At the conclusion of your mediation session, the firm drafts all the necessary documents, which you and your spouse sign to finalize your agreement. We remain available to work with you after the mediation has concluded to assist you in resolving any disputes that may arise.
Consult with skilled mediators in Carlsbad to reach a fair divorce settlement agreement
To learn more about reaching an equitable divorce agreement through the mediation process, call Silverman & Silverman, Attorneys at Law at 760.512.3251 or 415.906.4142 or contact us online to schedule your free initial phone consultation. Sunday appointments are available.
Located in Carlsbad, our law firm serves clients in Oceanside, La Jolla, Vista, Encinitas, Escondido, Rancho Santa Fe and throughout the San Diego area.